Monday, November 14, 2016

My battle with depression.

In October 2015, Brandon and I got married. It was the best day of my life. It was everything I could have dreamed about. The month leading up to the wedding I remember feeling down. I was never really stressed, just down. During the day I was fine, but the nights were hard. I would end up in tears 95% of the time. The last few days leading up to our wedding and for about three weeks afterwards, I was fine. I felt like myself.

Starting around November, I felt myself slipping. I would stay in bed all day. I would never go out. It was hard for me to even take a shower every day. And just like in September,  I wold start out fine, but as the day would progress, I would get worse and worse to the point where I was crying EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT in the bathroom. It was like clockwork.

The feeling of sadness was always there, it was persistent so I had learn to put on my happy face when I was out in public.(Only Brandon, knew about my battle for the first three months.) Yet, the further the month of November went along, the harder it was to pretend; the worse my sadness got (Brandon once told me that, there were a few times that he thought he was gonna have to hospitalize me from how scary I had gotten).

It was until the beginning of December did I finally come out to my family. After three months of hiding it, I came out. With the help from my family, I finally found the courage to go get help because I wasn't going to get better on my own. (I ended up being diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, and that the case was from the birth control I was on.)

Every month after my diagnosis, there was always hope that I would be able to stop my antidepressant and my battle with depression would go away. I hated taking the pill; it was always a chore to remember to take it. I was thought that once I started taking my medicine I would be better within a few months; yet I wasn't. It was until until, July, seven months after I started taken the pill, I was able to come off it. Once the side effects from coming off the antidepressant wore off, I have been fine ever since. I still have a bad day every now and then, but compared to what it was like before, it's nothing.

I can definitely say that the first year of marriage was hard. I never knew I would be the kind of person who would get depression from just taking birth control. Who would have thought that I would have been diagnosed with depression within three months of being married? Or that for the next six months it would be a constant battle with my disorder. And yet, though it all, Brandon was amazing. He never once gave up on me, even when I had given up on myself.

I am obviously not a professional on the subject... but this is simply my story and I tried to explain it the best I could in hopes that if anyone else is struggling with this or anything of the sort, that you can find the help you need in the midst of your battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment